COVID-19 is impacting our airports and the Port Authority is working to prevent its spread. The agency says that “the safety and well-being of our passengers, employees and service providers is our number-one priority.”
In an effort to ensure passengers feel comfortable while traveling, the Port Authority is requiring the below protocols be followed while servicing our airports.
Face Cover Requirement
- All Taxi drivers MUST wear a face covering that covers their mouth and nose when picking up a passenger at a Terminal. The face covering must be worn at all times a customer is in the car and when assisting customers outside the car.
- All Taxi passengers MUST wear a face covering when getting into a taxi at the Terminal. The face covering must be worn the entire ride. If at any time a passenger voluntarily states they cannot wear a face covering, the taxi dispatcher will assist in making accommodations.
Cleaning, Health, and Physical Distance Protocols
- All taxi drivers must monitor their health for COVID-19 symptoms and stay home if they are sick or have a fever.
- All taxi drivers must practice healthy hygiene by washing their hands or using hand sanitizer and should not shake hands with any passengers.
- Vehicles should be properly cleaned and disinfected before leaving the Taxi Hold Lots for a trip.
- Group rides (shared or pooled) are not permitted until further notice.
- Avoid handling passenger luggage, unless passenger asks for assistance – then use hand sanitizer before and after the handling the luggage.
- Everyone must maintain physical distancing when able. Drivers are to keep physical distance between themselves and other drivers in the Taxi Hold Lots and between passengers and Taxi Dispatchers at the Terminals.
- All passengers must sit in the back of their taxis – not in the front seat.
- If a vehicle has a partition, it should be closed when a passenger is in the taxi.
- When possible, set ventilation to “non-recirculated air mode” in both the driver and passenger compartment and/or open windows.
- All indoor meditation areas are closed until further notice.
Cleaning, Health and Physical Distance Implementation
- Signage will be installed in all holding lots with Cleaning, Health and Physical Distancing Protocols.
- Additional signage/floor decals: All meditation trailers are to be temporarily closed.
- Physical distancing signs should go in all restrooms
- For Drivers, an area will be made available in each holding lot for drivers to self-clean/disinfect their vehicles prior to picking up a fare.
- For Passengers, face coverings, hand sanitizer, and disinfecting wipes will be made available. Hand sanitizer will be made available at all taxi lines for passengers.
- Disinfecting wipes will be made available at all taxi lines for passengers to wipe down high-touch areas of the vehicle, e.g. door handle, payment machine, etc.
- Face coverings will be available from the taxi dispatchers as supplies are available.
Enforcement: Driver fares can be refused if they are not following the above mask requirement.